We are currently devoting much of our attention to the development and expansion of the Maine Resilience Program. Specifically, we will be developing a chapter on resilience for the University of Massachusetts-Boston's Center for Rebuilding Sustainable Communities after Disaster. We will also be looking for opportunities to develop the program in other communities in Massachusetts and the Northeast.
Maine Resilience is continuing its Train the Trainer Program in resilience with the Scarborough community. A series of three workshops was completed in the fall of 2011, and we are presently, conducting the second phase of the Train the Trainer Program. We will be offering workshops in Scarborough through May of this year. Those trained will be implementing trainings and other activities to reinforce and teach the skills of resilience. The program has received coverage through the current (newspaper), WCSH-Channel 6, and the Portland Sun.
For more information about the program and opportunities to participate in the training, contact Chief Mike Thurlow at the Scarborough Fire Department or Dr. Breazeale.
A recent article was published in the Journal of Emergency Management, January-February 2012, Vol. 10, 1, describing the program.
Dr. Ron Breazeale, author of Reaching Home and Duct Tape Isn't Enough is available for training and consulation events. For more information, please contact us today.
- City of Scarborough, Maine: Workshop on resilience for managers and department heads with a focus on the development of the Resilience Program for the entire city.
- September 22nd thru September 24th, 2010, We were a delegate to the FEMA Get Real Conference focusing on the integration of special needs groups into the general population response that FEMA provides in a disaster.
- July 13th & 14th, 2010, presentations describing the Maine Resilience Program to the International Conference on Rebuilding Sustainable Communities with the Elderly and Disabled after Disaster, University of Massachusetts, Boston.
- June 15th, 2010, 2-hour presentation on resilience for chronic pain group, Mid Coast Hospital, Brunswick, Maine.
- May 19th, 2010, a 2-hour presentation on resilience for Aging Services of Maine and New Hampshire, Marriott, South Portland, Maine.
- April 10th, 2010, Train-the-Trainer Program for educators sponsored by the Maine Education Association at their offices in South Portland.
- March 16th, 2010, Train-the-Trainer Program delivered at the Cumberland County jail for correctional officers in the Greater Portland area.
- March 23rd, 2010, Train-the-Trainer Workshop sponsored by Woodfords Family Services at Woodfords Family Services Center in Westbrook. Audience: representatives from 15 social service agencies in the Greater Portland area.
- January 11th, 2010, Train-the-Trainer Program for firefighters, Scarborough Public Safety Center.
- March 26th, 2009, Train-the-Trainer Program for police co-sponsored by the Portland Police Department, Portland, Maine.
- January 19th & 26th, 2009, Maine Resilience Program for elders, Park Danforth, Portland, Maine.
- November 15th, 2008, Train-the-Trainer Workshop, Annual Convention of the Maine Education Association, Portland, Maine.
- November 8th, 2008, Train-the-Trainer Workshop for Southern Maine Emergency Medical Services personnel and community members, Mid Coast Hospital, Brunswick, Maine.
- October 30th & November 6th, 2008, Train-the-Trainer Program for staff of Park Danforth, Portland, Maine.
- October 15th & 22nd, 2008, Train-the-Trainer Program for Windham and Raymond Fire and Rescue Services, Windham Fire Hall.
- April 26th, 2008, 2-hour presentation on resilience for the National Society of Professional Journalists, Northeast Chapter, University of Southern Maine, Portland, Maine.